Plan Your Adventure!
School group field trip rates are available during the school year only,
Monday to Friday.
For groups visiting during the summer, call the reservation desk
at (615) 862-5177.
STEP 1: Make a Choice
Select the programs you’d like to book for your students. Identify two possible dates for your visit. Estimate travel time including an arrival time of at least 20 minutes before the beginning of the first program. Download our Pre-Trip Planning Form to help you organize.
STEP 2: Make a Count
Estimate the total number of students and chaperones (teacher are counted as chaperones). REQUIRED CHAPERONES ARE FREE. Chaperones are adults that monitor behavior, assist students with exhibit exploration and schedules, and stay with the assigned group at all times. Chaperones must be 18 years or older. Teachers with TN teacher ID get in free any day of the year but are counted as chaperones on field trips.
Chaperone to student requirements
|Preschool to 8th grade
||1 adult per 5 students required
||1 adult per 15 students required
Any additional adults beyond this ratio or guests in the initial booking must pay in advance to the school to get the group rate. If they are added on the day of the field trip and have not been included in your payment, they pay the regular daily admission price plus any program or planetarium fees, space permitting. NOTE: Groups whose numbers fall below 15 are subject to regular admission prices.
STEP 3: Make a Call
Contact the reservation office between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at (615) 862-5177 at least two weeks before the preferred dates. Once a date has been set, a confirmation email will be sent to the contact teacher.
STEP 4: Make a Plan
Arrange for chaperones, payment, and transportation. Advance lab fee deposits are due before the field trip date. Several convenient forms are available, including a Field Trip Chaperone Request and Field Trip Announcement Form. Please advise all members of your teacher team that all adults and extra guests (including children) added on day of field trip pay the NON-GROUP regular admission rate of $11/adult, $9/child, plus program and planetarium fees (space permitting).
Collect all fees in advance. Non-chaperone fees must be paid in advance to the lead teacher before the school group date in order to get the group rate and reserve a space in programs.
- ASC memberships and reciprocal memberships do not apply to school group visits.
- Coupons, special offers, or discounts do not apply to school group visits.
- Don't forget to read the Field Trip FAQ, then check out our resources page, with plenty of printable guides for you, your chaperones, and students!
• Cancellations received in writing (email accepted) 14 days prior to reservation day will receive 100 percent of their deposit back, minus $30 administration fee. ASC will retain the full deposit if cancellation is received less than seven days prior to reservation day.
• Groups that cancel 14 days prior to reservation day and reschedule will have the deposit and any planetarium program fees transferred to the new date.
• Due to the purchase of specialized supplies for some programs and all labs, cancellation fees may apply for materials costs. There is a $50 non-refundable deposit for Biolabs.
• Cancellations due to weather conditions that close the reserved school system, and which are rescheduled, will not be charged a cancellation fee.