Saturday, Feb. 22 | 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Local engineers will be on hand at Adventure Science Center for its annual Engineering Day. During the event, visitors will have opportunities to learn about a variety of engineering specialties and participate in hands-on activities to help them gain a better understanding of the concepts used in the field.
All Engineering Day activities are included with general admission, except where noted. Subject to change.
Activities from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Make a flying machine from straws, make geodesic domes, build and test structures on an earthquake shake table or cars on a pinewood derby ramp, and more through activities provided by engineering firms, professional associations and university groups.
- Watch middle and high school teams compete in the Middle Tennessee Regional VEX Robotics Competition.
- Interact with middle school Lego League teams as they showcase their projects on an obstacle course presented by the Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers (TSPE).
- Learn about the Middle Tennessee Robotic Arts Society’s latest exciting projects as they hold a Line Following Competition (at 12:30 p.m.) and showcase their larger robots and human transport devices.
- Explore the importance of amateur radio communications as the Nashville Amateur Radio Club, Inc. presents live demonstrations that provide critical communications in emergency situations. Visitors can talk with amateur radio operators via VHF/UHF radios and learn about several digital modes of radio communication. Plus, meet licensed amateur radio operators from your community and pick up information on how to get started in amateur radio.
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Back again this year, local high school students will showcase and test their entries in the 7th Annual Music City Bridge Building Competition, presented by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Nashville Chapter. More info>>
Special Sci-Bites live science demonstrations:
1:30 p.m. – Backyard Science
2:30 p.m. – ZAP! Clouds and Lightning
In the Sudekum Planetarium Judith Payne Turner Theatre:
Additional ticket required
11 a.m. – BIG
Noon – Sea Monsters
1 p.m. – Skies Over Nashville
2:30 p.m. – Sea Monsters
3:30 p.m. – BIG
2014 Music City Bridge Building Competition
Presented by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Nashville Chapter
Bridge check-in*: 1 p.m.
Bridge testing: 1:30 p.m.
In-school competitions may be held to choose the bridges prior to the competition. ASCE will provide the wood kits for up to five bridges for each participating public school (Contact Tony Snyder at email@example.com to request kits.)
Why compete? FOR FUN!! FOR PRIZES – 1st ($75), 2nd ($50), and 3rd ($25) place!!
Winner is determined as the bridge with the highest structural efficiency, E.
E = Load supported (50,000g max.)
Mass of bridge (grams)
Download the complete Information Packet
For more information on the competition or event details, visit http://www.facebook.com/BridgeBuild
* NOTE: Adventure Science Center will grant free admission for each competitor, plus two guests. The free guest passes will be available to each competitor upon check-in at Adventure Science Center at the time of the event. Teachers are always free with proof of ID. All other guests attending the event must pay general admission to the center. Subject to change.