Adventure Science Center strives to provide families with opportunities to explore science in unique and fun ways. Our mission is to create science experiences that increase interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
COME TO ASC WITH YOUR HOME SCHOOL GROUP
DESIGN YOUR OWN FIELD TRIP!
Home school organizations or educational groups with 15 or more students may book any school programs offered in our program catalogue including demonstrations, presentations, labs and planetarium shows. Age level ranges are listed in the program selections. Field trips require one single payment for the whole group and may include advance deposits. Contact the Reservations Department at 615-862-5177 to schedule. For more information about this option go to the field trips section of the website.
COME TO ASC AS A FAMILY
We believe the best way to teach science is to experience science. Family science labs are parent/student hands-on science experiences. One parent and one or more children form a team to explore science stations and observe demonstrations built around common science topics such as chemical reactions, life science topics, technology and much more. This opportunity is designed for adults and children to do science together by questioning, following directions, recording data, and proposing explanations.
Please note: We offer a range of grades for labs so that families may work together. An adult must be with the student. Adults and students each pay the fee to be in the lab. For questions about lab content call 615-401-5053 or email email@example.com.
FAMILY SCIENCE LABS
All programs start at 2 p.m. and are appropriate for 3rd – 8th grade students. Labs run an hour and a half.
March 12 & 26
Examine fossils and draw conclusions about the structure and behavior of giant reptiles (dinosaurs) by comparing their fossilized remains to animals living today. Using realistic dinosaur fossil replicas and real animal artifacts, learn how to think like the paleontologists.
April 8 & 23
Why do we have bones? What are they made of and how do they fit together? Explore how the physical characteristics of the human skeletal system reveal gender, height, age and much more by working together in an engaging exploration of the human skeletal system.
Labs are designed for parents and children to learn together. Anyone attending a lab must pay, including parents and siblings.
Family Science Lab Check In
1. Go to the front desk and check in using the name of the person who paid the advance fees. You will be issued a ticket for each lab.
2. If you are not attending the lab, non-members pay general admission, and ASC members show a membership card and photo identification at the front desk.
3. Proceed to classrooms. Please plan arrivals at least 20 minutes before the lab begins. Late arrivals disrupt the learning process for all in the class and instructors have the right to deny entry.
Family Science Lab Registration and Payment Options
Advance payment is required. Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to another date.
1. Online registration is available (online ticketing fees will also apply).
2. Registration open. Call reservations at 615-862-5177 to pay by credit card.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ATTEND THE FAMILY SCIENCE LABS?
Program prices vary, depending on the lab. These events provide all participants with unique programs and opportunities not generally offered to the public visitor or to our membership. Public planetarium programs and Blue Max tickets are not included with general admission. Payment in advance is required. Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to another date. If a lab does not fill, day-of tickets will be available on a first come basis up until 15 minutes before the lab begins.
WHO CAN BE IN THE LAB?
Each person in the lab must pay the lab fee. Children must be with an adult and each pays the required fee. We recommend families who buy multiple tickets sit together during the lab. If you have a child age two or younger, you may have the child with you in a stroller in the classroom. We ask to please be sensitive to the learning environment of the whole class. If a young child is not happy in the class, please exit the lab.
Family Science Labs are designed so that families learn together. Parents must be in the Center at all times and children are not allowed to be in a classroom or on the exhibit floor without a parent. All children attending sessions are expected to follow the behavior policy of ASC.
WHAT HAPPENS ON THE DAY OF THE LAB?
We recommend that you always bring your verification of payment email or online receipt. You will be asked to give the last name of the person who booked and paid in advance in order to find our purchase record.
Please plan your arrival 20 minutes early to allow plenty of time to check-in and find the location of the lab session. Any adults and students not attending special lab programs go to the Front Desk and pay either general admission rates or show a membership card.
Programs will begin within 5 minutes after the posted session time. Plan ahead to arrive at least 5-10 minutes early to a classroom. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THERE IS NO LATE ADMISSION TO A SESSION ONCE THE PROGRAM HAS BEGUN. Sessions are not transferable to another date.
PAYMENT POLICY: Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable to another date. ASC is not responsible for filling a slot because of cancellations.
- Students must be in age-appropriate sessions.
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. No refund will be given.
- Only Parents/chaperones who have registered in advance for a class and paid the fee are allowed entry into the session (unless you have a ticket issued the day of).
- Participants (adults and children) who have registered in advance will be listed on the session roster. Please show either the color-coded bracelet and/or have a special day-of ticket to enter a session.
- Parents/chaperones not going to sessions must always be present in the Center and must pay applicable admission rates as members/non-members. Students may not be dropped off at ASC for sessions. Students must be supervised on the exhibit floor at any time.
- Programs will begin within 5 minutes after the posted session time. NO LATE ENTRY IS ALLOWED.
- Please turn cell phones off and use your breaks to have non-session discussions with other adults.
FAMILY SCIENCE LABS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- No discounts or refunds are given if you are unable to attend.
- Registrations without completed payment will not be held.
- Reciprocal memberships from other institutions do not apply. Coupons and special discounts do not apply to special programs and labs.
- Online registration closes 2 days before the date of the event at 5:00 pm (subject to change).
- Members must meet the requirements outlined in membership including showing photo identification upon entry and carrying a membership card.
- Planetarium programs and Blue Max tickets are a separate fee.
Thank you for your help in honoring the guidelines and policies for ASC programs.