Adventure Science Center Presents the 13th Annual
STEM Conference for Girls in 9th to 12th Grade
Saturday, February 14, 2015 | 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Theme for 2015:
TWISTER (Tennessee Women in Science, Technology, Engineering & Research) is a daylong professional conference for high school women, presented by women working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Research) professions. Each presenter is eager to share details about her career with you, answer your questions, help steer you to the right educational pathway, and give you a little taste of daily life in the workplace. Participants attend four, 55-minute sessions that explore a variety of STEM topics.
Why Attend TWISTER?
- Opportunities to meet and connect with women working in a wide array of STEM professions
- A chance to hear first-hand how women balance careers, interests and family
- Fun and engaging hands-on STEM activities and topics
- To discover new career ideas, college pathways and requirements, opportunities for internships and other educational experiences
- A chance to meet other young women with similar interests and passions
How Do I Sign Up?
Online registration is available here: TWISTER Attendee Application
Registration due Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015.
- See last year’s program for an idea of the day’s schedule
- This event is held during regular business hours in Adventure Science Center classrooms.
- TWISTER may conflict with February ACT or SAT dates. We suggest you check with your school before registering.
- Lunch is provided and includes a sandwich, fruit or chips, and beverage.
- Only students, presenters and event staff are allowed in the sessions.
- The conference begins at 8:30 am and ends by 3:00 pm.
- Participants will be emailed more details closer to the day of the event, and will receive their specific session schedule for the day at check-in the morning of the conference
WiTT Scholarship Information
Apply to win a college scholarship for $5,000 or $1,000! Applicants must complete an essay and include additional documents outlined in the application. Students must be in 12th grade and registered with TWISTER to participate. The deadline for completed submissions is January 26, 2015. WiTT Scholarship Application»
2014 WiTT Scholarship Winners
$2,500 Scholarship to Kendall Haberer, Brentwood High School
$1,000 Scholarship to Darby Schumacher, Baylor School
|Aerospace Industry||Astrophysics, aerospace design and technology|
|Biotechnology||Genetics, diagnostics, clinical research, quality control|
|Engineering||Biomedical, civil, mechanical, electrical, environmental, materials science|
|Environmental Health & Safety||Epidemiology, forensics, microbiology, nutrition, emergency management|
|Green Technologies||Green building design, architecture, renewable energy industry|
|Information Systems/Computer Science||Software development, network security, web design, telecommunications, robotics|
|Life Sciences||Agriculture, animal science, biology, science education, food science|
|Medical Careers/Biomedical Careers||Exercise physiology, audiologist, nurse practitioner, radiology, nursing, physician|
|Multimedia||Digital design, fashion design, photography, game and application development, social media marketing|
|STEM Education||Teaching/facilitation, science writing/blogging, informal education/museum educators|
Be a Presenter:
TWISTER seeks female role-models currently working in science, technology, engineering, research, or math-related fields who would like the opportunity to positively impact high school women interested in STEM. Presenters are asked to prepare and present a 55-minute session for 20-25 participants; session should include a hands-on activity relative to your topic.
See last year’s program for an idea of the day’s schedule and session inspiration; although, we are always looking for new and exciting topics!
To apply to be a presenter, please complete this TWISTER Presenter Application form.
Be a Volunteer:
Volunteers are needed to be presentation assistants, assist with set-up/clean-up, help with registration, and aid in general event duties.
If you are interested in presenting or volunteering, please complete this TWISTER Volunteer Form.
Presenters and volunteers can contact TWISTER@adventuresci.org with questions.
Be A Sponsor:
Is your organization interested in becoming a sponsor? Call Tim Sears at(615) 401-5055 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to our sponsors:
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering
Nashville Chapter of the Randolph-Macon Woman’s College & Randolph College Alumnae Association